Depression is a common mental disorder that causes people to experience depressed mood, loss of interest or pleasure, feelings of guilt or low self-worth, disturbed sleep or appetite, low energy, and poor concentration. (Mental Health Org.UK)
Everyone can feel unhappy or sad occasionally but that does not make you depressed. Depression is a more intense and pervasive feeling resulting in extreme anxiety, helplessness or hopelessness that simply will not lift.
Depression can take anything from 6 months to a year for recovery. Counselling is very beneficial alongside medication, or instead of medication, to look at where the depression came from. Sometimes a life event can unconsciously trigger a painful memory or belief from the past that may need addressing. If you find that you have more than two of the symptoms below, and you would would like to make an appointment for counselling please contact me at: email@example.com
Signs and symptoms of depression
- Constant tiredness, loss of energy and lack of motivation.
- Sadness that will not lift.
- Loss of self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Difficulty concentrating and falling asleep or changed sleeping patterns.
- Not enjoying things you used to find pleasurable.
- Feeling anxiety for no apparent reasons.
- Avoiding other people and isolating yourself from even those closest to you.
- Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness, extreme guilt and worthlessness.
- Finding it hard to function daily.
- Loss of appetite, or feeling hungry and eating all the time.
- No appetite for sex and/or sexual problems.
- Physical aches and pains.
- Thinking about death or suicide and wanting to self-harm.